June 28, 2011

Lineman


This shot came about completely by chance.  I was doing extensive work for a CATV company.  They wanted everything shot: buildings, equipment, construction sites where cable was being installed, the corporate offices, the engineers' drafting room, and the administrative offices.  I had complete freedom to shoot whatever I found interesting, I even had a cherry picker at my disposal!

While shooting in the equipment garage, I noticed a pair of climbing spikes laying in the corner.  They looked like they hadn't been used in years.  I recognized them right away because I had an uncle who was a lineman for the telephone company (that's "the telephone company" when there was only one, aka Ma Bell).  I found someone who knew how to use them and we went out, found a pole and made this image.  A mural sized print now hangs in the company's corporate headquarters.